Sunday, September 13, 2009

Camping

We had a really good time camping! I'm glad we decided to make our not going back to school celebration a camping trip this year. I hope we go again next year. The kids had a great time playing with their friends and it was nice to rough it for a night. I did learn several things on this trip. I'm not as big of a nature lover as I thought. I'm perfectly happy with just one night. The bugs and dark freak me out. I'm going to work on it. I'm determined to camp at a national park and I'll need to be a better camper by then. I also learned it gets REALLY cold at night. I'm surprised my husband isn't frozen. He did not listen to my instructions for packing blankets and ended up with no blanket and wearing shorts with no jacket. I was cold in all my clothes, a jacket, a blanket and the body heat of Both Nicky and Aaron. We huddled as much as we could once he admitted it was too cold for him. This leads to my next lesson-bring a king sized air mattress. I can't sleep on the ground...not if I want to be able to stand the next day. I ended up on a twin(thanks to a friend, I didn't actually have one at all) with Aaron and Nicky which was hard enough but then Mack tried to squish himself on to stay warm. Not working! It was a mess. I should have known Nicky wouldn't sleep away from me in that situation. I was hoping he'd sleep with Chris. Despite these few issues, it was a wonderful trip. The kids had fun playing with their friends in the dark. I got time to talk to friends once the kids were in bed. The kids got to experience camping. It's been so long since we've camped that none of our children could remember. I hope this was a memorable experience for them.

It's almost midnight and I'm so glad this day is done. I'm so tired. After we got home I was able to sit for a bit until I got a frantic message from a facebook friend. She came over and I was able to help her out. We then ran off to Chicago for ICAN meeting, missing the first hour and a half of a two hour meeting. I'm still glad we went as we weren't really friends before and tonight may be what bring us together. Good friends are always nice to have. It also strengthened my desire to help nursing mothers. Breastfeeding is so important to me but now, for some odd reason, I feel it's importance is even greater. I think seeing a mom who is feels so set on her child getting ONLY the best has added fuel to my fire.

1 comment:

  1. The cold gave you and Mack an excuse to cuddle. I had Izzy since my kids were out late playing and Steve couldn't get back into the park.

    You are sharing a very special gift with others. Breastfeeding is the single best thing I ever did for my kids and myself.

    ReplyDelete

Followers