Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'll finish here.

Various pictures from today.





I find putting pictures on this site very annoying so I cut the last entry short. It's easier to just finish on another post.

We are on a science kick. Last week we watched a documentary on the coral reef. We learned all sorts of fun stuff and talked about how we could stop the reefs from disappearing and about all the things we need that will be gone once the reefs are. We learned more on animals and plants that rely on each other to live. Chris has been very interested in this and has been looking for examples of it since learning about the relationship that sloths have with algae. We learned about a species of fish that helps crab. The crab builds a cave to protect the fish and the fish watches out for the crab since it's eye sight isn't all that great. Frankie and I read 'Manfish' a month or so ago and she was reminded of Jacque Cousteau and his efforts in ocean conservation. Today at the library, as I mentioned before, we got lots of science books. I really like the 'Let's Read It and Find Out' science books so I got a ton of them. I hope these keep us busy for a while. I can't wait to read them! Zach got a dinosaur book that is so huge he should stay busy for quite a while. I really feel like we're getting a good start this 'school year'. It's not like we really have a set year but this is the back to school season.

Speaking of the library, I have my first complaint. I have two actually. I seem to have really annoyed the librarian this morning. I asked her if she could point me to the 'Let's Read It and Find Out' books and she asked what topic I was in search of. I told her I didn't care. She looked at me as if I were insane and told me that it doesn't work like that. I must have a topic or author. I asked her if she wouldn't mind looking the books up to find out who the author is and I got a big, long, drawn out sigh. She finds out and there are apparently many authors. She looked at me, smugly at this point, and told me I MUST have a topic. I told her to forget it and asked her to point me in the direction of the science section. She told me, "No! That is three whole aisles, what is the topic?" She was obviously not the sharpest crayon in the box. I told her I still didn't have a topic, just like I didn't have one the first 3 times she asked. She began to rub her temples as if I were giving her a headache so I told her I wanted something on plants. Again, she looked a pit annoyed because I didn't have a sincere topic and said she'd just click one and show it to me. I was happy to be done with her. Was it really THAT hard? Oddly enough, the topic she chose wasn't even the one I asked for. She could have picked 3 or 4 titles and showed them to me if she'd really wanted to be helpful. I think people like her need not be employed in the children's section. I know who to avoid now. There is an older man there who is great! I'll try to schedule my trips around his hours.

Complaint two! I called the library to ask if I could hold a meeting there. I was told I could. Once I got there I asked to speak with the woman in charge. She came out and completely blew off my introduction by rolling her eyes and waving her hand at me. It wasn't long or drawn out. All I said was, "Hi my name is Pauline and I called you yesterday." She went on to tell me that the library does not allow children's groups to meet. Not even when your group meets at a time when no one ever books a room. What sense does that make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers