Friday, March 27, 2009

Ped's appointment

Yesterday my two baby boys went to the doctor. My shadow, a.k.a. Chris came with me. Zach and the girls stayed at grandma's house. The girls got their hair braided. I'm free from their hair for 2-3 weeks! Yay! I just have to remember to have them tie it up.

Aaron will be a month old tomorrow so it was his one month check up and first appointment. He's 39 ounces above his lowest weight at 10 pounds 9 ounces. He gained that in 2 weeks. I guess the foremilk imbalance isn't a big deal. The doctor didn't think I should worry about the green poops. He has some newborn acne, I really hope it does away soon. He has 100000 little red bumps on his face. He also has thrush. I can barely feel it so I'm in a BIG hurry to get it gone. Thrush is horrible and I'm trying to get rid of it before I feel any real pain. The ped wrote a prescription for me for Dr. Newman's all purpose nipple ointment. The only problem is finding somewhere to get it filled. Apparently, it has to be filled at a compounding pharmacy. It's not something that comes by the tube, it has to be mixed and very few pharmacies do this. I'm sure I'll have to pay for it as I seriously doubt it's covered. I just hope it doesn't cost some insane amount.

Nick's doing fine. He's finally gained a couple more pounds. He was stuck at 25 for a long while now he weighs 27 pounds and 8 ounces. No issues at all but he refused to talk for the ped. He won't stop talking at home. The ped mentioned getting Nick retested for iron and lead but I didn't even get him tested the first time until a couple months ago. I know his iron is good, it was 12.8 last week. She said no need to have it done again right now. I will probably let him at 2 and a half.

The appointment was pretty nice. I had fun freaking the medical student out before the doctor came in, lol. The idea of a homebirth without vitamin K, eye ointment, declining shots and a toddler who still only drinks breastmilk made her think we were a bit nuts. Then for the doctor to come in and act like it wasn't a big deal made it even worse. Seeing the shocked look on her face after having spoken with me for 20 minutes the doctor explained her stance on patients like me. We both have a mutual goal, healthy kids. There is no need to be upset because I go against what most would do since we're all trying to do best by our children. Even kids who whose parents make choice like mine deserve to be seen. I really like her. It's only the second time we've seen her. The first time was mostly an interview. She did a few things today that I was happy about. She didn't touch either of my boys' penis. While she was checking that are I did say please don't retract and she said she would never do that. She didn't bitch about Aaron not getting Vitamin K and eye ointment. She didn't even ask. She didn't act like having a homebirth was irresponsible and even remembered talking to me 4 months ago about VBAC bans giving moms little to no options. She never once mentioned weaning Nicky or putting him on any cow's milk. She put a note on his nystatin to be honored for up to a month because I told her that I would be using a natural remedy first(it worked really well for Nicky). She wrote me a prescription for a medicine she's never heard of because I asked. She did look it up first but she was perfectly happy to do it. She never once mentioned a Hep B vaccine. She did say she'd heard of cases of hemophilus influenza in Pennsylvania and if it moves any closer to Illinois, I might want to consider it. She went on to answer all the questions I had about it AND admit when she simply didn't know the answer. I've never seen a doctor with such a lack of God complex. I'm in love, lol.

Afterwards, we went to get the big kids. The girls look so nice. I tried to wait around for my mom but she made a stop and I was so ready to be at home. I fed the kids near my mom's house so they ate crap :( It's nearly impossible to find real juice in that area so finding decent food wasn't going to happen. We just snacked when we got home, it was too late to cook. I'm going to try to get the kids to the zoo at some point this weekend. I have a membership, I may as well take advantage. The girls don't have to go to their jail....er, school next week so they'll be with us at homeschool group! We'll have a blast. I'm going to find a field trip for everyday if the weather lets me. It's just too cold to be out in the cold much with Aaron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers